- Contribute to structuring the architectural and Urban Research both at the Strasbourg and the Upper Rhine scales.
- Strengthen links and bridges with Research Units in architecture in France and abroad, and with local and regional authorities.
- Combine architectural research, Humanities, plastic arts and engineering sciences in order to help identify the current metropolitan and territorial issues, especially those related to sustainable city.
- Integrate new technologies, cultural and artistic practices, and civic expressions into architectural and urban design.
- Create a corpus of knowledge on the sustainable metropolitan project as a social, spatial, technological and temporal process.